Women entrepreneurship: facts and figures
Did you know that…*
Women make up 52 % of the total European population but only 34.4 % of the European Union (EU) self-employed and 30 % of start-up entrepreneurs.
In 2012, only 29 % of active entrepreneurs were women in Europe-37 (28 EU countries, Albania, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Iceland, Israel, Turkey, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Norway and Serbia).
In 2012, the top five countries with the highest entrepreneurship rates for women were Greece, Albania, Portugal, Italy and Croatia.
More facts and information…
...from the European Union on women entrepreneurs
- Report ‘Statistical data on women entrepreneurs in Europe’ (pdf available here under 'Supporting documents')
- European Commission – Female entrepreneurs
- European Commission – Women in ICT study
- European Commission – Women in high tech areas and innovation
...from other sources on women entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) publication 'Entrepreneurship at a glance report 2015'
...on gender-related topics
- European Commission – Gender equality
- Eurostat – Equality
- UN Economic Commission for Europe – Gender statistics
- European Institute for Gender Equality – EIGE
...and other statistics
* Source: ‘Statistical data on Women entrepreneurs in Europe’ (September 2014)